Question on Psalm 8

I was reading Psalm 8 in my devotional time this morning and something stuck me.

8:5–6 are usually translated something like the following
You have made him [man] a little lower than the heavenly beings
and crowned him with glory and honour

You made him ruler over the works of your hands;
you put everything under his feet

What struck me this morning (reading the Hebrew) was that the tenses appear to work as follows:
You made him a little less than the heavenly beings
with glory and splendor you will crown him.
You will cause him to rule over all the works of your hands;
all that you put under his feet

Now this may simply be poetic language but I did wonder if Psalm 8 was making a distinction between God's glorious and purposeful creation of humanity (in the past) and the future realisation of those purposes.

Comments

Yes, I think the psalmist has the future in mind when humanity is given rulership over the cosmos.

Popular Posts